On Tue, Jul 24, 2012 at 10:14 AM, Haytham Wahba <haytham_wa...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> 1- if i have anomalous peak of unknown heavy atom, How can i identify this
> heavy atom in general. (different methods)
>
> 2- in my case, i see anomalous peak in heavy atom binding site (without any
> soaking). preliminary i did mass spec. i got Zn++ and Cu, How can i know
> which one give the anomalous peak in my protein.
>
> 3- there is way to know if i have Cu+ or Cu++.

You may be able to identify the element based on the coordination
geometry - I'm assuming (perhaps incorrectly) that it is actually
different for Cu and Zn.  Marjorie Harding has written extensively on
the geometry of ion binding:

http://tanna.bch.ed.ac.uk/

The only way to be certain crystallographically, if you have easy
access to a synchrotron, is to collect data above and below the K edge
of any candidate element, and compare the difference maps.  (For
monovalent ions it is more complicated, since they don't have
accessible K edges.)  On a home source, Cu should have a larger
anomalous map peak, but I'm not sure if this will be enough to
identify it conclusively.

-Nat