I do not see with what you do not agree in what was written (maybe not very
carefully). One determine space group looking on systematic absences, this I
know.
Space groups P41 - P43 ( I do not go to more general discussion for the sake of
argument) are not distinguishable  and one have to try molecular replacement in
both.
Most probably the correct space group will give a sensible solution and wrong
one will not. I was talking about distinguishing between point groups P4 and
P422.
I hope you grew that they CAN be distinguished  on the level prior to molecular
replacement?
And I hope that you agree that starting refinement of demanding project at
relatively low resolution such as 3.4 Angstrom it is advisable to characterise
space group, twinning status etc.?
If you agree also to that,  with what you do not agree?
FF
Dr Felix Frolow
Professor of Structural Biology and Biotechnology, Department of Molecular
Microbiology and Biotechnology
Tel Aviv University 69978, Israel

Acta Crystallographica F, co-editor

e-mail: mbfro...@post.tau.ac.il