From: CCP4 bulletin board [mailto:CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK] On Behalf Of Artem
Evdokimov
Sent: Thursday, 13 December 2012 9:41 AM
To: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Re: [ccp4bb] archival memory?

encoding into DNA and transforming some long lived critter is the best solution
for me. My mind's eye is watering with glee when I imagine how TurtleBank might
look -- fields of green grass, populated by herds of gentle grazing turtles,
each encoding some priceless tidbit of information.

Of course, worrying about access to USB formatted memory 100 years from now is
likely not necessary. We should be able to read these chips directly using a
miniaturized form of scanning microscopy or somesuch (probably non-invasive,
unlike SEM). Charge-state of a floating gate transistor can be derived by e.g.
a properly designed SEM tip right now (this is one of the methods used to steal
data from protected flash drives by the way), but i am SURE that in a century
the technology to read the state of matter should be advanced to a level of
household implementation.

Anyway.
On Wed, Dec 12, 2012 at 4:35 PM, Artem Evdokimov