Hi James,

As an aside (as your point is looking for a John Henry, not investigating
automated model-building) I would point out that it is not uncommon at all to
find cases where a very small difference in starting parameters or starting
phases leads to a very different final result in automated model-building. I
suspect that this comes from the discrete nature of model-building: an atom
goes either here or there and every time you put in something you have branched
the search...then when this model is used in calculating a map you get a new
map that depends on the exact branching...so that small starting perturbations
can become amplified.

As you have found a way to automatically build "possible.mtz" I would expect
that some small change in parameters or software would solve the impossible one
too (not that one could necessarily find this change easily).

All the best,
Tom T