On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 11:18 AM, Tim Gruene <t...@shelx.uni-ac.gwdg.de> wrote:
> I admit not having read all contributions to this thread. I understand
> the "John Henry Challenge" as whether there is an 'automated way of
> producing a model from impossible.mtz'. From looking at it and without
> having gone all the way to a PDB-file my feeling is one could without
> too much effort from the baton mode in e.g. coot.

This should be even more possible if one also uses existing knowledge
about the expected structure of the protein: a kinase domain is quite
distinctive.  So, James, how much external information from homologous
structures are we allowed to use?  Running Phaser would certainly be
cheating, but if I take (for instance) a 25% identical kinase
structure, manually align it to the map and/or a partial model, and
use that as a guide to manually rebuild the target model, does that
meet the terms of the challenge?

-Nat