Hi Artem, Jacob,

I've personally never seen such crystals despite using for many years various
stand-alone GFP variants (including eGFP) as transfection controls in HEKs and
other mammalian cell lines, but now I believe you and owe Jacob an apology for
being skeptical when I first saw his pics :-))

But, I can't stop wondering what is the secret? Must be something else than
just overexpression... How often do you see such crystals occurring (what % of
GFP-expressing cells), and how stable are they? Could this be related to the
expression system, transfection procedure, broader cell culture conditions...
Artem finds GFP crystals in HeLa cells (have you also tried HEKs?), while
Jacob's experience seems to be the opposite (admittedly using a different GFP
flavour)...

It just feels like this "in cell" crystallization might become a very powerful
tool if one could harness it!

Best wishes,

radu

A. Radu Aricescu, PhD
University Research Lecturer

University of Oxford
Wellcome Trust Centre for Human Genetics
Division of Structural Biology
Roosevelt Drive, Oxford OX3 7BN
United Kingdom
Phone: +44-1865-287564