On 02/16/13 00:46, Zhijie Li wrote:
Hi Jacob,
Interesting topic.
This reminds me the posters I saw on ACA 2010, on the femto-second infrared laser based instrument . That instrument utilizes the nonlinear optical properties of crystals of chiral molecules to detect very small crystalline materials from amorphous background: the crystals will double the frequency of the laser, turning the infrared light to visible light. I cannot recall the exact name of the technology now, unfortunately.

Multpile photon fluorescent microscopy, or two-photon excitation microscopy, sometimes implemented as scanning confocal microscopy. One implementation is acronymmed SONICC.

All Things Serve the Beam
                               David J. Schuller
                               modern man in a post-modern world
                               MacCHESS, Cornell University