Hi Herman

Yes your solution would also work, and is also safer in the event that
other programs don't know how to handle SCALE & ORIGX records correctly:
you are just using ORIGX to store the transformation & leave the
co-ordinates alone.

I was imagining that James might want to do further work with the
transformed co-ordinates, so I guess the answer is that it all depends on
what you plan to do with the file.  As I said, my solution makes the
assumption (possibly rash!) that the graphics & other programs treat the
SCALE & ORIGX records correctly.  Actually in my scheme it's only the SCALE
records that matter (since these are actually what transforms orth -> fract
for the symmetry to operate on): the ORIGX records are only needed as a
reference back to the original co-ordinates and can be safely ignored.

Cheers

-- Ian