I can not really speak for a home-source setup, but here at the SLS MX
group we run two Pilatus6M (one of which is the first Pilatus ever made)
and one Pilatus2M. In nearly four years since we installed the first one
we never had any hardware issue other than users damaging the case. So
I'd say the reliability of the DECTRIS detectors is excellent.

Cheers,
Florian

Paul Scherrer Institut
Dr. Florian Dworkowski