My "default" MAD strategy is to do single-image inverse beam with round robin wavelength changes. That is:
energy  phi
peak       0
peak     180
remote   0
remote 180
peak        1
peak      181
remote    1
etc....

with one image taken for each line above. I do this until a full "sphere" is collected for each wavelength (720 images) with an exposure time short enough so that the final dose is less than 5 MGy. On ALS 8.3.1 that's about 1 second/image. The 5 MGy comes from the half-dose of the fastest-decaying SeMet site I have ever seen (Holton, 2007). Once the initial 5 MGy pass is done, then I quadruple the exposure time and move the detector a little closer to the sample for another "sphere". Moving the detector is to try and put the spots on "fresh" pixels and average over the systematic error associated with using exactly the same part of the detector over and over again. This becomes important for Bijvoet ratios less than ~2%. It is also a good idea to always do a full "sphere" for the same reason: never use the same pixel twice.

The quadrupling of the exposure time is mainly for expediency. Given that any rad dam reaction will be essentially exponential, but with an unknown half-dose, the best way to sample the curve is with a geometric series of exposure times. Doubling the exposure time increases signal/noise by not more than 40%, which seems hardly worth it. Quadrupling the exposure doubles the S/N for counting statistics. So: 1s, 4s, 16s, and then the crystal is usually pretty dead (at ~0.5 MGy/min). This then gives the user the "opportunity" to do RIP using the long exposures as the "native". Or, if there is little damage, they can just merge everything together and get the best signal. The influence of read-out noise (if any) also gets effectively washed out in the longer exposures.

Now, what I call "peak" is actually a compromise between the usual "peak" and the "inflection". What I do is split the difference between these two for an "inf-eak" or "pea-lection" wavelength. From a signal-vs-damage point of view this seems to be optimal in my hands. Two wavelengths are about twice as good as one, even if the f" and f' to the remote are only 80% of what they would be at their maxima. Three wavelengths are "better" than two, but only ~20% better. I judge this by looking at map correlations and the number of sites I can leave unmodeled in a 3-wavelength dataset and still get the same map quality as a 2-wavelength dataset. I call such a 2-wavelength dataset "DAD", or sometimes Bijvoet Anomalous and Dispersive Anomalous Scattering (BADAS).

The only time using the same pixel twice could actually be an advantage is if you could somehow put the same spot on the same pixel at two different wavelengths. You can "sort of" do this by moving the detector by a distance proportional to the change in wavelength. Doesn't work exactly because the Ewald sphere is curved and the detector isn't, but you can get some spots "close". This might be why Gonzalez et al. (2007) noticed that using inflection-and-remote tended to perform better than using just the peak. I haven't done an experiment of my own to show this is due to pixel calibration, however.

Of course, for most "test crystals" it doesn't really matter how you collect the data because the anomalous signal is so strong relative to pixel calibration, or almost any other source of error for that matter. The problem with differentiating the efficacy of one strategy over another is that the transition between "solvable" and "unsolvable" is very very sharp. Basically, phase improvement methods either make your phases better or they don't, and then you iterate. But, in a rad dam-limited world (such as a very very small "test" crystal), the best strategy will prevail. The minimum crystal size you should need if you do everything right is what is reported by this web page:
http://bl831.als.lbl.gov/xtalsize.html

As for the terms, "inverse beam" I think came from Stout and Jensen in their description of absorption corrections. It is supposed to be a variation on "normal beam" (which is where the x-ray beam is perpendicular to the spindle). But like most things, the widespread use of the term arises because a popular piece of software (BLU-ICE) chose to put those words next to a button on the GUI.

The term "round robin" I take from a simple load-distribution technique in computer science where each CPU, network card, etc takes turns getting the next job. This way each of the things being switched up gets the same amount of "exposure" with minimal granularity. Apparently, this name is derived from competitive sporting events where the athletes do pretty much the same thing.

One final word to the wise: My strategy of single-image-round-robin is not appropriate to all beamlines! Some shutters are better than others (even the electronic "shutter" used for shutterless data collections can experience some jitter), and some monochromators heat up and become unstable if you change the wavelength too often (or too far too often). Also, some spindles are slow, and can take a long time to turn the crystal 180 degrees. This is the main reason why the original MAD experiments were done in "wedges". It was all to save time. Also, if there are reproducibility issues in the spindle or the mono, doing a "wedge" is a way around those sources of error. On modern equipment most of these problems have been solved, but you should still ask your beamline scientist what they recommend. Only they know best what sort of design compromises were made with their particular instrument. Just remember that the advice you get for one machine may or may not apply to the next one you use!

-James Holton
BADAS Scientist