Rhys,

Having worked on a number of these structures using both MR and SAD/MAD, my
advice is to continue to make experimental phasing a priority since building
into a poor density map at this resolution can take months to years to finish
while building into a nice experimental map can take a few hours to days,
depending on how good your phases are.  With that being said, I fully support
pursuing the MR route, just keep in mind though it won't easy at this
resolution, even if you had awesome data.  And yes, your results seem to
indicate that you have a nice solution, but i wonder how much of the overall
structure does your model cover?  You mention this is a 22-stranded
beta-barrel....membrane protein?  A tonB-dept transporter maybe....and if so,
do you get a solution with the plug domain or are you just playing with the
barrel domain currently?  A good check to see if you have a real solution if
you are only using the barrel domain is to check to see if you have any
difference density for the plug domain.

So, my 2 cents, keep chugging along with the MR, but I would put more energy
into the experimental phasing, esp if you are able to express it ok and can
crystallize using the same conditions as native.  Also, both MR and
experimental phasing would benefit greatly if you were able to increase your
resolution closer to 3 angstroms (ugh....i know...easier said than done!).
Again, if this is indeed a membrane protein, that could just mean that you end
up screening a few hundred crystals to find that one crystal with that one
sweet spot that gives you that one really good dataset.

Good luck with your project, sounds like you are almost there!

Cheers,
Nick

Nicholas Noinaj
Laboratory of Molecular Biology