More references to consider…

You asked about soaking times - here are two articles advocating quick soaking
at relatively high heavy atom concentration, which has worked well for us.
We've had good luck with thimerosal.

Acta Crystallogr D Biol Crystallogr. 2002 Jul;58(Pt 7):1099-103. Epub 2002 Jun
20.
Generating isomorphous heavy-atom derivatives by a quick-soak method. Part II:
phasing of new structures.
Sun PD, Radaev S.

Acta Crystallogr D Biol Crystallogr. 2002 Jul;58(Pt 7):1092-8. Epub 2002 Jun 20.
Generating isomorphous heavy-atom derivatives by a quick-soak method. Part I:
test cases.
Sun PD, Radaev S, Kattah M.

Petsko has a good discussion about the chemistry of heavy atom derivatization.

Methods Enzymol. 1985;114:147-56.
Preparation of isomorphous heavy-atom derivatives.
Petsko GA.
PMID: 4079763

Beck et al. would suggest you consider the triiodo magic triangle.

Acta Cryst. (2008). D64, 1179-1182    [ doi:10.1107/S0907444908030266 ]
A magic triangle for experimental phasing of macromolecules
T. Beck, A. Krasauskas, T. Gruene and G. M. Sheldrick

John J. Tanner
Professor of Biochemistry and Chemistry
University of Missouri-Columbia
125 Chemistry Building
Columbia, MO 65211
Phone: 573-884-1280
Fax: 573-882-2754
Email: tanne...@missouri.edu<mailto:tanne...@missouri.edu>
http://faculty.missouri.edu/~tannerjj/tannergroup/tanner.html

On Jan 15, 2014, at 11:32 AM, Engin Özkan
<eoz...@stanford.edu<mailto:eoz...@stanford.edu>>
 wrote:

There is quite a bit of literature on this, but my favorite paper is this:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18391402
Towards a rational approach for heavy-atom derivative screening in protein
crystallography.

Spoiler: The overall winner is ethyl mercury phosphate (Figure 7). Of course,
chemistry will dictate your success (as every article and book chapter on this
topic stresses). Check out quick soak literature, but not halides like sodium
bromide (less likely to work at your resolution).

Engin