Hi
do not forget the clusters like Ta6Br12 or the lanthanides.
in case your interesting protein is a membrane protein there are some choices that might work better than other
we have described it here.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16855303
This is not exclusive to membrane proteins at all. My personal favorite is orange platinum, with an acupunture needle stick the tip in the orange platinum powder, and and gently let the needle hoover over the drop, the static electricity will pull some orange platinum crystals into your drop without disturbing it. This is really nice if you have mechanically sensitive crystals. Then just seal the drop and wait for the orange color to emerge. Its almost like cooking a restaurant dish, just more expensive.
cheers
Preben