Ed, the screen z axis is not the same axis in the molecule for the first
and last rotations, except in the special case beta = 0 or 180.  The
fallacy in your argument is that you're implicitly assuming that rotations
commute, whereas of course they don't i.e. Rz.Ry.Rz is not the same as
Rz.Rz.Ry unless Ry = unit matrix or 2-fold.  The first and last rotations
are both indeed around the screen z axis but the orientation of the
molecule has changed because of the intervening y rotation, so the two z
rotations are not additive unless beta = 0.  Indeed if beta = 180 the net
effect is the difference of the two z rotations.  For other values of beta
the net z rotation is a more complicated function of the Eulerian angles.

HTH!

Cheers

-- Ian