Dear Alastair,

I really like the feature of shelxl which writes the cif-file (required
for deposition to the CCSD) including all restraints, constraints, the
data, and the coordinates. The program shredcif extracts the ins-file
and the hkl-file, which are checksum protected against manual editing.
With this and the backward compatibility of shelxl it is actually not
impossible to reconstruct what was available at deposition time. For the
RNA polymerase I, both data and ins-file only cover 4.5MB of data, i.e.
not too much to handle by a data base.

I don't mean to promote shelxl here, but rather the method of providing
a (checksum protected) means to repeat the last refinement cycle totally
independent from outer resources.

Cheers,
Tim

--