Van: Edward A. Berry
Verzonden: 24-4-2014 15:58
Aan: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Onderwerp: Re: [ccp4bb] coot problems to decrease R FREE

On 04/24/2014 08:33 AM, Phoebe A. Rice wrote:
> If you are doing real-space refinement of the entire model against a map in
> coot, isn't it also important to make sure that the Rfree reflections were
> NOT used in calculating that map?  Depending on how the map was made, that
> info can be hidden in the fine print.
>
> ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Not sure. Although this would seem to be the real-space analog of omitting
the free reflections during reciprocal space refinement, there is actually
a big difference. In reciprocal space, the free reflections can be simply
ignored.
In real space refinement against a map from which the Free reflections were
omitted,
you are still using the free reflections but with an incorrect value: zero.

Then, if real space refinement really can bias a model to best-fit the
reflections,
all the free reflections will tend toward zero and your R-free for the model
will go up.
Then when you compare R-free after RS refinement with or without free
reflections,
you might incorrectly attribute the difference to bias when using them!

eab