Hi Steven,

Thank you for the information and guidance.  When you search for all the
ensembles with Phaser do you use “AND” or “OR”
searching?

Cheers,

Scott

While Phil Jeffrey attributed to me the “trick” of aligning the hinge axis of
an Fab along the Z direction, I, in turn, must give credit to Mirek Cygler, who
explained this to me at the Diffraction Methods in Molecular Biology [now
Structural Biology] Gordon Research Conference in 1986.

To Scott’s query about searching for “1 domain sequentially and then other
domains OR searching for multiple domains all at once?”

Inevitably a program like PHASER searches for domains (“ensembles” in its
terminology) sequentially. However, as to the practical question of whether to
“feed” PHASER all of the domains in one run, that is certainly how I start and
it is usually (almost always?) successful. In fact, while I no longer bother to
align the hinge axis of an Fab along the Z axis, I now break Fabs into three
parts: CL:CH1, VH, and VL to allow molecular replacement to accommodate the
“tilt” angle between VH and VL (tilt angle is a term I learned from Gary
Gilliland’s talk at the Diffraction Methods in Structural Biology GRC in 2014).
This also allows me to search for the highest identity VL and, separately, VH
in the PDB to use as probe models.  N.B. since I’m usually studying antigen/Fab
complex, I’m usually searching for 4 ensembles in one PHASER run: CL:CH1,
antigen, VH and VL.

Assistant Professor
University of Maryland
IBBR/CBMG