I agree with Ethan.

In philosophy, NMA is a useful analysis  to study low frequency collective
motions.  That is true by taking  a stand-alone structure and explore such
motions of biological interest.  Domain motions in the crystallographic
environment need not necessarily correspond to those of the isolated
molecule.  Also, please remember, many a times the most significant modes
(say mode 7 or mode 8) in NMA do not represent the motions of biological
interest.  One is usually recommended to analyze many significant modes to
extract the useful information, and in the extremes of argument, making at
times this as a subjective exercise.

In any case, I would strongly argue for TLSMD, as Ethan has pointed out, as
that represents modeling disorder in crystallographic environment. In one
of the examples where we were studying the relationship between NMA (for a
stand-alone molecule) and TLS, we could correlate the two for the 11th and
the 12th mode, suggesting clearly that 7th- 10th modes did not show a good
correlation.  By incorporating the 7-10th modes in crystallographic
refinement, we would have clearly not made the model better!

Shekhar

--
Shekhar C. Mande (शेखर चिं मांडे)
Director, National Centre for Cell Science