On Tuesday, 21 October 2014 07:39:53 AM Appu kumar wrote:
> Dear All,
> Thank you very much for valuable suggestions and educating me on the normal
> mode refinement. Actually, I am trying to refine a protein (cytosolic
> domain and trans-membrane domain). I found a solution through PHASER and
> density looks really good in both domain but as i proceeds with refinement
> density remain great in both domain till Rfree around 38%. Interestingly,
> with further refinement cycle, Rfree reduced to  30% but the density in the
> trans-membrane domain becomes very weak. That is why i am wondering whether
> it is possible to improve the density in the trans-membrane domain by using
> Normal mode refinement. Conservatively speaking, it could be possible that
> trans-membrane is highly flexible or disordered and after much cerebration,
> i am thinking to incorporate the normal mode refinement to monitor if there
> is any improvement in electron density trans-membrane domain.

Please keep in mind that if the density is poor because the protein really
is disordered, a perfect description of those disordered cell contents will
perfectly reproduce that poor density.   So "improved description" does not
necessarily imply "improved map quality".

This is quite different from the case of a poor model for a well-ordered
structure.  Here also you will see a low quality map, but in this case it
will improve as your description of the cell contents improves.

        Ethan

--
mail:   Biomolecular Structure Center,  K-428 Health Sciences Bldg
        MS 357742,   University of Washington, Seattle 98195-7742