Hi Jacob,

Thanks a lot for your reply! Yes, by comparable data quality I did mean the
comparable resolution and SNR. I now understand the original question and
kinda confirm what I thought. But I am also learning myself and I don't
quite get why the continuous sampling would get rid of the phase problem.
My first thought would be that mathematically speaking, the difference
between solving the structure from a crystal diffraction pattern and
solving the structure from a single molecule diffraction pattern only means
the transition from a discrete Fourier summation to a continuous Fourier
integral, but the phase term is always there. I am sorry for my lack of
knowledge and I only knew the very basics in the sampling theorem many
years ago.

Another related question is, do different crystal lattices sample the
reciprocal space equally well (or lose the same amount of information)? My
intuition is yes because of the symmetry in the real space stays in the
reciprocal space, but maybe I am wrong.

Sorry for keeping bothering,
Chen