Dear Steven,

Thank you for your reply! I understand that it is nearly impossible to
measure the diffraction of a single molecule, and I am just bringing this
up as a thought experiment to help understand the basics in
crystallography. But I never thought that some molecules actually allow
such measurement because you can burn it over and over again without severe
damage. Thanks a lot for this piece of information.

But for the phase problem, the difference is that, you can have magnetic
lens for the electrons in EM, but you cannot have any lenses for X-ray
beam. This is why I am still confused about this point.

Thanks a lot again,
Chen