>If you do that then what chemical type you are going to put into that
>rightmost column of ATOM record of PDB file? Note, that must be a valid
>chemical element symbol so that you can use such PDB file to calculate
>R-factors, maps and whatnot (Obviously, "X" would not work!).

Why, Cl- of course! Call it “Echols’ chloride.”

(And why not make every water into UNX for good measure as well?)

Why not indeed, except that I would not call it water but "Dummy Atom" with an
element type of your choice.

Because those blobs are most likely waters, it being 55 M or so! But
admittedly, unless their being actually waters is used to assert something, I
don’t think it matters that much. Most likely they are waters though.

I think this will probably never happen, but maybe there could be a confidence
value associated with each atom in structures a posteriori, although it might
be difficult to find the right automatable criteria for this value. The element
would be assigned by being the most likely one, and confidence assigned
thereafter. Too much of a pain to implement, probably, and maybe not worth the
trouble. Perhaps, though, Nat’s program could be used to do this. [
doi:10.1107/S1399004714001308<http://dx.doi.org/10.1107/S1399004714001308> ].

JPK