On Wed, Jan 21, 2015 at 12:24 PM, Keller, Jacob <kell...@janelia.hhmi.org>
wrote:

>    I think this will probably never happen, but maybe there could be a
> confidence value associated with each atom in structures a posteriori,
> although it might be difficult to find the right automatable criteria for
> this value. The element would be assigned by being the most likely one, and
> confidence assigned thereafter. Too much of a pain to implement, probably,
> and maybe not worth the trouble. Perhaps, though, Nat’s program could be
> used to do this. [ doi:10.1107/S1399004714001308
> <http://dx.doi.org/10.1107/S1399004714001308> ].

Unfortunately that implementation isn't really "quantitative" in the sense
you describe - not for lack of interest on our part, but rather because
coming up with a unified score based on many disparate and arguably
incomplete criteria is quite difficult.  The initial goal was to go after
the "low-hanging fruit" of ions that are relatively obvious and/or whose
identity is well-known, which would otherwise need to be placed manually.
But as we tried to make clear in the paper, this isn't a substitute for
common sense and prior knowledge.

(By the way, for what it's worth, I think both Na and Cl are simultaneously
over- and under-represented in the PDB - there are many spurious atoms, but
at least as many that were overlooked and labeled as water.  From the
perspective of a methods developer, however, the false positives are much
more of a pain to deal with in an automated workflow.)

-Nat