Most software used for cryo-em analysis (e.g. EMAN2,  Relion, Spider, Frealign
etc)  runs better or only in Linux.

Best

Hernando

From: CCP4 bulletin board [mailto:CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK] On Behalf Of Robbie
Joosten
Sent: Friday, October 14, 2016 11:55 AM
To: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Re: [ccp4bb] Structural biology software that does not run on Windows
or gives important Windows-specific problems

Windows 10 now allows a full Ubuntu within Windows. It actually works quite
easily.

There is a good rsync for windows. I use it to make back-ups of the pdb_redo
databank. Windows has it own system of incremental backups which works well in
my hands. There are two scripting systems in Windows batch and PowerShell.
Batchs is fun for simple things, PowerShell is extremely powerful and scarily
object oriented for maintenance and administration, not for scientific work.

That said, I would totally use linux for scientific work, except writing and
spreadsheet work.

Cheers,
Robbie

Sent from my Windows 10 phone