Bicarbonate ion is a weak base and is normally protonated near neutral pH.
(Nitrate is a pathetically weak base and is not protonated at any
reasonable biological pH.) Therefore, bicarbonate will have one hydrogen
bond donor group (the -OH group) and two hydrogen bond acceptor groups,
whereas nitrate will have only acceptor groups. This distinguishing feature
is clearly seen, for example, in the allosteric site of beta-carbonic
anhydrase (2A8D) where the bicarbonate binding site has one critically
placed hydrogen bond acceptor group (carbonyl oxygen of Val47) among a sea
of donor groups. Bicarbonate ions will populate this site in crystals after
a few minutes soak at 100 mM concentration. The same crystals soaked in as
much as 1M (!) nitrate overnight do not bind nitrate ion in this site.

Roger Rowlett