Assuming it wasn't clear from purification/crystallisation reagents...

Maybe try a high multiplicity anomalous dataset collected in house / at
long wavelength?

P has ~ 75% the f" of S at CuKa.

If you can figure out roughly what anomalous peak height an S atom gives
from a Cys or a Met with similar ADP to your mystery atom, you might be
able to distinguish PO4 & SO4.

You'd need decent data (well & oft recorded anomalous differences), and
usual caveats about occupancy and ADPs apply.

Dave.

--

[image: --]

David Briggs PhD