Just to add to this, in our group, we had a funny case where we found PEG
around K:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2DrnhrLgvwGSldLVl9pSEptakE
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2DrnhrLgvwGZlNiYTFoaktPUHc

Ana Luisa

> On 24 Jan 2017, at 17:36, Artem Evdokimov <artem.evdoki...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> PEG. It wraps around K or R residues just like you are showing.
>
> Artem
> www.harkerbio.com <http://www.harkerbio.com/>
> "where every blob has candy inside"
>
> On Jan 24, 2017 12:19 PM, "Uma Gabale"
> <00000ebb5dcf3eaa-dmarc-requ...@jiscmail.ac.uk
> <mailto:00000ebb5dcf3eaa-dmarc-requ...@jiscmail.ac.uk>> wrote:
> Dear all,
> While refining a structure at 2.5 A resolution, we observed a
> semi-circular/crescent shaped electron density blob as shown in the attached
> picture. We have been unable to identify it so far, and would appreciate any
> help in identification.
> The protein was expressed in E. coli BL21(DE3), purified on Ni-NTA followed
> by gel filtration. The purification buffers included Tris and NaCl (no
> detergent/ other ingredients except for imidazole for Ni-NTA).
> Crystallization condition had HEPES and PEG3350; no cryoprotectant was used.
> The blob is surrounded by residues Trp, Thr, Gln, Arg, and Phe.
> Thanks and regards,
> Uma.
>
> --
> Uma Gabale, PhD
> Research Associate
> Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry
> Indiana University Bloomington

Research Assistant Professor at UCIBIO@REQUIMTE-FCT-NOVA
Biologia Estrutural - Cristalografia de Raios-X (Gab 6.34)
Dep. Quimica, FCT-UNL
2829-516 Caparica
Portugal
Phone: 00351212948300 (ext: Gab: 10940; Lab: 10962; X-ray Lab: 10915)
Fax: 00351212948550
http://docentes.fct.unl.pt/almc <http://docentes.fct.unl.pt/almc>
http://sites.fct.unl.pt/xtal
https://www.facebook.com/XtalNOVA/
Single Crystal X-ray Structure Determination Service:
http://www.dq.fct.unl.pt/en/single-crystal-x-ray-structure-determination