Some general remarks about PEG modelling and associated caveats:

http://journals.iucr.org/d/issues/2016/12/00/rr5136/index.html

Section 3.6.5.

Best, BR

From: CCP4 bulletin board [mailto:CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK] On Behalf Of Ana
Luísa Moreira de Carvalho
Sent: Tuesday, January 24, 2017 10:11 AM
To: CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Re: [ccp4bb] Unknown electron density blob

Just to add to this, in our group, we had a funny case where we found PEG
around K:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2DrnhrLgvwGSldLVl9pSEptakE

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2DrnhrLgvwGZlNiYTFoaktPUHc

Ana Luisa

On 24 Jan 2017, at 17:36, Artem Evdokimov <artem.evdoki...@gmail.com
<mailto:artem.evdoki...@gmail.com> > wrote:

PEG. It wraps around K or R residues just like you are showing.

Artem

www.harkerbio.com <http://www.harkerbio.com/>

"where every blob has candy inside"

On Jan 24, 2017 12:19 PM, "Uma Gabale"
<00000ebb5dcf3eaa-dmarc-requ...@jiscmail.ac.uk
<mailto:00000ebb5dcf3eaa-dmarc-requ...@jiscmail.ac.uk> > wrote:

Dear all,

While refining a structure at 2.5 A resolution, we observed a
semi-circular/crescent shaped electron density blob as shown in the attached
picture. We have been unable to identify it so far, and would appreciate any
help in identification.

The protein was expressed in E. coli BL21(DE3), purified on Ni-NTA followed
by gel filtration. The purification buffers included Tris and NaCl (no
detergent/ other ingredients except for imidazole for Ni-NTA).
Crystallization condition had HEPES and PEG3350; no cryoprotectant was used.

The blob is surrounded by residues Trp, Thr, Gln, Arg, and Phe.

Thanks and regards,

Uma.

--

Uma Gabale, PhD

Research Associate

Molecular and Cellular Biochemistry
Indiana University Bloomington

Research Assistant Professor at UCIBIO@REQUIMTE-FCT-NOVA

Biologia Estrutural - Cristalografia de Raios-X (Gab 6.34)
Dep. Quimica, FCT-UNL
2829-516 Caparica
Portugal
Phone: 00351212948300 (ext: Gab: 10940; Lab: 10962; X-ray Lab: 10915)
Fax: 00351212948550
 <http://docentes.fct.unl.pt/almc> http://docentes.fct.unl.pt/almc
http://sites.fct.unl.pt/xtal

https://www.facebook.com/XtalNOVA/

Single Crystal X-ray Structure Determination Service:
http://www.dq.fct.unl.pt/en/single-crystal-x-ray-structure-determination