Dear All,
I am stuck with this problem for 2 months and hope you could help.

We have a 2.1 A dataset for a 380 amino acid long protein. The space group
is I4 (single molecule in asymmetric unit, 48% solvent content) and the
dataset is quite perfect (no obvious pathologies). The protein itself is
organised in 2 lobes (N and C terminal lobes). The sequence identity to
nearest homologue structure is 17%.

We could  get the phases by SeMet SAD phasing (3A resolution dataset, 5
SeMet (excluding N-terminal Met), 3 full occupancy SeMet in C-terminal lobe
and 2 partial occupancy (~0.5 each; present on surface) SeMet in N-terminal
lobe). Automated  model building (at 2.1 A) yielded nice model for the
C-terminal lobe (215 residues)  and manually I could build parts (around 80
residues) of N-terminal lobe with high confidence. In addition we could
also build a ligand which is sandwiched between C and N terminal lobe.

However the Rfree is stuck at 0.39 (Rwork 0.33). There is indeed some
patchy density left at the N terminal lobe but as it is discontinuous, I
cannot build anything in it (except lots of water molecules). In total I am
missing around 85 residues. These residues are predicted to be present in
secondary structure (and not flexible).

As I have around 75-80% model built, I would expect that I would have all
the phases and  should get nice density for the remaining part. But as I
dont see it, could the rest part be flexible? But again, this is not
reflected in the R factors (I would then expect low Rfree).

Could it be that I still lack phases (due to partial occupancy of SeMeth in
N-terminal lobe ) and have to try to get them by heavy metal soaking, or
there is disorder in the N-terminal lobe? I have also tried solving
different datasets for same crystal but this has not been useful.

Regards,
Pravin.