Peroxyacids are unlikely - they're very reactive/unstable under normal
conditions. Is it possible your crystal is just at unusually low pH so these
acids are protonated? That makes the carbon-oxygen bond lengths asymmetric,
possibly by enough to explain your blobs.

Tristan

Tristan Croll
Research Fellow
Cambridge Institute for Medical Research
University of Cambridge CB2 0XY