Dear Ed,

     Thank you for the picture. The decarboxylation of GLU and ASP
side-chains is perhaps the most ubiquitous manifestation of radiation
damage. We have introduced a feature in our autoPROC processing
package whereby, if redundancy in the unmerged data is sufficient to
allow reasonably complete and non-overlapping "early" and "late"
data(sub)sets to be defined, we output "early-minus-late" difference
coefficients that can later be picked up by autoBUSTER to compute the
corresponding difference map. This is a great way of pin-pointing
acidic side-chains, and also sulphur-containing ones. I am sure others
are certain to propose a cooler name for that very same type of map
some day ;-) .

     Here, you seem to have a clear case of partial decarboxylation.
You could try reprocessing your images with autoPROC and computing an
early-minus-late map, just to see what it looks like. If your dataset
complies with the modern low-transmission, high-redundancy paradigm,
it should be very straightforward. You are welcome to get in touch
off-list about this.

     With best wishes,

          Gerard.