I’m reminded of a comment Wim Hol made at an ACA meeting many years ago during
a discussion of resolution. He noted that you had to add molecular weight into
the equation also to really get a handle on how impressive an experiment is.
Some proteins are larger small molecules, others are tour de force examples.

Having collected and still working on a 0.8A data set from a tetramer of a
~40kDa protein I advise my students only half-jokingly to move the detector
back and pretend that didn’t see anything beyond 1A. If you can answer the
question with the resolution you have then there is no need to push the data,
risk radiation chemistry impacting the interpretation, and spending months of
computing time to try to explain every niggly detail that pops up ☺

Best,

Eddie

Edward Snell Ph.D.

Director of the NSF BioXFEL Science and Technology Center
President and CEO Hauptman-Woodward Medical Research Institute
BioInnovations Chaired Professorship, University at Buffalo, SUNY
700 Ellicott Street, Buffalo, NY 14203-1102
hwi.buffalo.edu<http://hwi.buffalo.edu/>
Phone:       (716) 898 8631         Fax: (716) 898 8660
Skype:        eddie.snell                 Email:
esn...@hwi.buffalo.edu<mailto:esn...@hwi.buffalo.edu>
Webpage: https://hwi.buffalo.edu/scientist-directory/snell/
[hwilogo]
Heisenberg was probably here!