Dear James,

let's spin the thought a bit further. What if there is a new program
(Phaser-II) some day,
for which the coordinates in your "new crystal form" are all of a sudden
within the
radius of convergence again? Does this bring your "new crystal form"
back to the old
crystal form again?

I'd say it is neither cell dimensions nor space group that define a new
crystal form. It
is the packing of the molecules. It happens quite often in dehydration
experiments
that molecules in a lattice move a bit and symmetry elements are lost or
new symmetry
elements are created. The space group changes, as well as the unit cell
dimensions. But
the packing remains essentially the same. You can usually infer what
happens, but you
still need molecular replacement to actually solve the "new" form.

Best, Manfred