Hi Jon,

generally I agree that the accuracy of the data is inversely related to the
danger of overfitting, and that selection in shells is not necessary.
But if twinning is suspected, as here, and/or a choice between high and low
symmetry spacegroup has to be made, one has to make sure that
potentially symmetry-related reflections are _either_ labelled as test _or_ as
work; a mixture will artificially down-bias Rfree.

Selecting the test set in the highest possible symmetry (which is what Phenix
does) is a good solution. This test set should be symmetry-expanded when trying
the low-symmetry spacegroup (if one wants to compare R values).
The latter is not necessary when working with thin shells - but that has other
disadvantages.

best wishes,
Kay