Subject:        Re: [ccp4bb] Validation of structure prediction
Date:   Tue, 21 Dec 2021 09:43:37 +0000
From: Vollmar, Melanie (DLSLtd,RAL,LSCI) <000064fe7ccc6b4d-dmarc-requ...@jiscmail.ac.uk> Reply-To: Vollmar, Melanie (DLSLtd,RAL,LSCI) <melanie.voll...@diamond.ac.uk>
To:     CCP4BB@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

Tristan is spot on. All the predicted structures have near perfect geometry, so commonly used validation tools like MolProbity can no longer be applied.

What you need to consider is biological relevance of the predicted model. Does the model correctly reflect residue arrangement in the active site? Are domains in correct relative orientation to allow for interactions and movements, perhaps found by some other assay? Is there appropriate room to fit a ligand/cofactor? Are transmembrane helices, if there are any, correctly found?

You need to map the knowledge you have of your protein to the structure and see if the atom positions and what you know support each other.

Cheers