Hello:

this may not be 100% relevant to the discussed issue but to add a data analysis perspective: to be able to compare B factors in different structures, they need to be scaled. We used primitive but in my opinion functional linear scaling from 1 to 100 (Schneider et al. Acta Cryst D, D70: 2413 (2014)).

We observed clear correlation between B factor distributions and resolution. At "high resolution" (<1.9 Å) Bs correlate with the expected physical behavior of atoms (Bs of the AAs in hydrophobic core << solvent exposed AAs < solvent at the interfaces < solvent at the surface). In "low resolution" structures, 2.5-3.0 Å, all atoms have indistinguishable behavior.

We analyzed only structures determined at cryo conditions.

Bohdan, bs.structbio.org

On 2022-09-08 09:17, Gerard Bricogne wrote:
In a similar vein, there could be effects of variation in humidity. How is
humidity controlled at these different temperatures? It can drastically
affect crystal ordering, which is of course a key determinant of the
eventual Wilson B of a dataset and should be distinguished from a property
of the individual atoms when interpreting their refined B-factors.

Gerard.