On 2016-09-16 2:32 AM, Camiel Vanderhoeven wrote:
Op 15 sep. 2016 11:57 p.m. schreef "Toby Thain" <t...@telegraphics.com.au>:

On 2016-09-15 2:38 PM, Noel Chiappa wrote:

    > From: Chuck Guzis

    > Call it anything you want, but we know what Motorola called it.

The _first implementation_ may have been 16-bit, but I am in no doubt
whatsover (having written a lot of assembler code for the 68K family)
that the _architecture_ was 32-bit:

- 32-bit registers
- many operations (arithmetical, logical, etc) defined for that length
- 32-bit addresses

GPR width, being the visible programmer model, is the most common and
convenient definition of "architecture" I've come across. But there's no
reason we can't just say the *visible* architecture is 32 bit (which it
is), but the "internal" architecture is sort of 16.

Afaik, the term computer architecture was coined for the IBM 360, which was
a 32-bit architecture, with 8, 16, 32, and 64 bit implementations. The term
architecture specifically refers to what the programmer sees, not to the
specifics of an implementation.

Yes, and that's the meaning I'd default to.

--Toby

Camiel