This discussion is stirring up so many old memories.

I distinctively recall, back at the time that this was relevant, that the (DOS) network game play was disrupting/saturating networks, because, if I recall the article correctly, the game was communicating with other nodes using broadcast packets, vs unicast or multicast packets.

Off to Duckduckgo to see if I can find that article.

Jerry