Got a little further.  The keyboard was definitely jammed.  I pulled the
carriage over to the right and noted there's a bar on the left side that a
piece of metal attached to the carriage belt hits, I assume triggering
something.  Doesn't work.. the bar is stuck.  At any rate, I put the metal
piece over it and the carriage returned on its own (spring action).  I then
wound the motor some more and got a bell sound.  After that, the keys started
to work properly -- I can see the little arms (code bars?) changing as each key
is pressed.

Thought maybe if the keyboard was jammed that might short the motor.. but still
blows out fuses.

AFAIK the unit was working before it was shipped, sort of.  The seller
mentioned powering it up and doing a carriage return successfully before
shipping.  I'm inclined to think something happened during shipping.