On 05/21/2017 01:02 PM, Al Kossow via cctalk wrote:

> On 5/21/17 8:51 AM, Rob Doyle via cctalk wrote:
>
>> How 'bout a brand new J11-based board for oldie S-100 systems?
> Reinventing incompatible I/O for existing operating systems.
>
> Maybe if they wrote a new unencumbered OS, but I'm not holding my breath.

Its a PITA for even simple os like RT11.
> I don't get why they abandoned their original Eurocard form factor for
> something truly
> braindead.
S100 fits everthing, even if not well.

> Linear regulators on every card is stupid in the era of high efficiency
> switchers.

Its the BUS....  Switchers back then were expensive and not efficient,
nor quiet.
back then they were large too.  It also meant a better buss structure to
distribute
5V without undue voltage drop.  It is why DEC Qbus is only so large
before they
went BA123 with two power supplies.  Ever heard a DEC H780 sing,
loudly!  Your
critical of tech as it was.    In the end S100 was the cheap way for the
day not
expecting to become a monster system that they tended to become.

I have a s100 box I made up without them and its a pain to use boards
across
systems without mods.

Systems I do now don't need S100, SS50, or Multibus as I can put all that
on one small card.

> Now he's talking about Multibus, so he can use all of those 8" SMD disk and
> Pertec tape controller boards. Maybe my boxes of that junk will be worth
> something now.

Multibus was nicer and cleaner but in the end one multibus card can hold an
entire system now and be big and clunky.

Allison