> On Jul 2, 2017, at 2:03 AM, Chuck Guzis via cctalk <cctalk@classiccmp.org>
> wrote:
>
> On 07/01/2017 10:27 PM, Tony Duell via cctalk wrote:
>
>> I was told years ago that in general the thinner-wall sockets are better
>> quality -- they have to be made from stronger steel alloy to work at
>> all. Obviously there are exceptions....
>
> It wouldn't surprise me if some of the cheaper stuff was made from pot
> metal.  I encountered a small Chinese adjustable wrench that was, in
> fact, made just that way with a nice chromium plating.  I think it was
> intended to be more decorative than functional.

Something equally flimsy, yes.  I have a set of 100 "security" bits, $10 or so
from Harbor Freight.  I already chipped the phillips bit on a somewhat tight
screw.  For the price the stuff is ok, and definitely handy when dealing with
various oddball screws, but for anything that matters I go for real tools.