> On 20 Aug 2017, at 16:32, Mattis Lind <mattisl...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> söndag 20 augusti 2017 skrev Adrian Graham via cctalk <cctalk@classiccmp.org
> <mailto:cctalk@classiccmp.org>>:
> Hi folks,
>
> I think I’ve mentioned this PSU before but the question I have might be
> applicable to other cheap switchers. This lump for the original Atari 520ST
> is run by an NE5561N control chip with a D45H1 switching transistor. It’s
> supplied by a multi-tap transformer giving 2x2 feeds of 6VAC and 14VAC with
> an eventual output of 5V@3A, 12V@30mA, -12V@30mA.
>
> This one will run under load for around 10 minutes then the 5V rail will
> gradually collapse over the next few minutes. Turn it off and leave for a
> minute or so and it’s back to normal, repeat as above.
>
> Heat related?  Try freeze spray to check if it recovers or stays working
> longer.

I need to jury rig something with a breadboard to allow me to run it outside
the enclosure, in normal usage it’s solder side up with the components covered.
I can’t remove the transformer lump because it’s sealed in resin. They really
didn’t want people to attempt to fix these things :)

—
Adrian/Witchy
Binary Dinosaurs - Celebrating Computing History from 1972 onwards