Arrgh! /Jerry rig/, not Jury rig! Jury rigging is something entirely
different..

The former comes from WWII era slang, when German soldiers were called
'Jerries' (among other things); see Jerrycan for instance. As has often
been the case, as the war drew to a close and the supply chains broke down,
everything needed to run the army dried up, hence the need for quite a few
"field expedient" (read: improvised) repairs to machinery and weapons.

And I don't think they even had duct tape in those days, did they? More of
a bailing wire era, one would suspect..