On 09/16/2017 03:21 PM, Steve Malikoff via cctalk wrote:

> Yes I agree they both appear to be simple machining jobs. As a substitute for
> drill rod...

I'm unclear why the recommendation has been for "drill rod" (i.e.tool
steel) for the parts that essentially hold the parts to a hinge together.

It would seem that a plain 1018 cold-rolled steel would be strong
enough.  For easy machining, even 12L14 would seem to be preferable,
although I don't know if that's legal in the EU, given the slight lead
content.

Anyone care to shed some light on this?  And if "Drill Rod' is the
preferred material, what *kind* of steel?  i.e.  O1, S7, A2, D3, W1, M2?

Just curious--unless the application is for a shaft subject to torsional
loads or needing a cutting edge, I generally use cold-rolled mild
steel--it's inexpensive and machines well.

--Chuck