> On Aug 16, 2019, at 2:43 PM, systems_glitch via cctalk
> <cctalk@classiccmp.org> wrote:
>
> I'm sure DEC wouldn't have bothered with hard gold plating if their
> connectors were metallurgically incompatible :P The few busted DEC
> connectors I've replaced did indeed have selective gold plating on the
> contact surfaces. Most quality edge connector slots are similarly
> constructed.

It's been a while and I never looked in depth, but it most definitely is not
true that gold is only compatible with gold.

From what I remember, the detailed analysis involves an "electrochemical
series", which has metals like sodium at one end, copper closer to the middle,
and gold at or near the other end.  Metals are compatible if their potential
value differs by less than a limit.  The limit depends on the environment; in
an office you can have a larger limit than on a ship where you have salt spray,
or a tire factory with lots of SO2 in the air.

There are also some twists; I think stainless steel is compatible with many
things thanks to the alloy ("stainless") properties.  In fact, I think the
subject came up in connection with failure analysis of coin cell battery
holders.  The battery cases are stainless steel; the question is what contacts
are acceptable.  Gold is; there may be others but some things that are used in
the market are not good choices.

        paul