On 2022-11-12 9:08 a.m., Tony Duell via cctalk wrote:
On Sat, Nov 12, 2022 at 11:59 AM Antonio Carlini via cctalk
<cctalk@classiccmp.org> wrote:

Surely a microcontroller is just a 555 with a few extra transistors?

For suitable (large) values of 'few'?

Actually I can think of many differences...

Firstly, the full equivalent circuit of the 555 is in the datasheet.
So I can predict how it should behave under all conditions (there are
many things you can do with a 555 besides astables and monostables). I
have never seen an equivalent circuit, or a gate level description of
a microcontroller.

All 555s are the same. If it fails I can replace it. Microcontrollers
cease to be the same once they are prgrammed. If a microcontroller
fails then I'm stuck. I won't be able to get the firmware

I would argue that 555s are a lot more reliable than microcontrollers.
And have a much longer life than the time to bitrot of most
microcontroller flash memories

It's a lot easier to test a 555 than it is to test a microcontroller.

555s do not have illegal internal states they can get into.
Microcontrollers almost always do. Hence the need for watchdog timers
which IMHO are a kludge,

Another tool in the box, just that it happens to be very cheap.

Cheap != good

They have their uses. But like many tools they can be misused and often are.

-tony

They often now have huge development software now days, that may tie you to a specific computer platform. Pal's I am using for example, 16v8's require win-cupl and can't be adapted for original FORTRAN V software.
Ben.