On 1/20/23 10:41, Chris via cctalk wrote:
>  So ... can the GW be physically installed on a machine that doesn't have usb
> capability. But have the data stream analyzed (on the fly) by a different
> computer via it's usb capability?

No, the host system needs a USB connection--probably at least 2.0, but I
haven't verified that. (I did build one and even added a stage of output
buffering).

My STM32F407 solution has proper buffers and termination between the
drive and MCU, and records all data on an microSD drive, which can be
uploaded or read directly.

Comms is via USB or UART, depending on compilation option, so it can be
used with a dumb terminal or a legacy S100 system capable of serial
communication.

The nice thing about the 407 is that it has a much higher clock rate,
meaning finer sampling and 512KB of program flash along with 192KB of
SRAM, so a whole track can be held in memory.

I should probably mention the floppy reader I built years ago using a
ATMega162 and 128K SRAM.    It could also emulate floppies.

For whatever it's worth.
Chuck