Chuck said
> Speaking of keyboards, were there any computer keyboards or typewriter
> keyboards with interposer mechanisms such as used on IBM keypunches?  I
> recall that was one thing that had a very different "feel" from a
> typewriter keyboard.   It changed my keyboarding style.

There were some video terminals with mechanical Selectric keyboards, one for
example being the RCA Spectra 70/752 from the mid/late 60s.
For this RCA engineers substantially modified a Selectric 1 keyboard with many
new bespoke mechanical parts to output 7-bit ASCII directly.
The earlier RCA 6050 video data terminal and models 6051-1, 2, 3 Interrogator
used a powered ASR33 keyboard, and the main console of the IBM Office System/6
workstation also used a powered Selectric keyboard.

I've been working on a project for the last few years on and off to recreate
this terminal's keyboard, starting with fixing a rusty seized Selectric II to
operating
condition then splitting the keyboard off from the power frame and powering the
filter shaft with a motor in lieu of the normal print shaft gear train doing it.

I machined out the RHS keyboard frame filter shaft (you can see this happening
in this picture https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4862890)
to accommodate a new filter shaft cycle clutch partially made from IBM spring
clutch parts (not a Selectric clutch but from some other IBM device as it
has a urethane drive gear on it, just like the RCA one) and a new 3D printed
clone of the RCA cycle cam/anti-backlash arrangement.
The cycle clutch latch rod has been moved from the centre to the right hand
frame edge as RCA did.

Also made a new interposer from a scrap of sheetmetal and additional bail rod
from my stash of Selectric bits for RCA's Bit 7 ASCII, and put spring returns on
these as this was previously done by the Whiffletree mechanism in the power
frame.

So I'm about 2/3rds through it. Next is to finish the cycle detent and also
recreate the key interposer ASCII microswitch rack with its 50-or-so
millisecond-delay
steel clamping plate (RCA called it the 'storage bar') that is driven off the
filter shaft via two steel crank arms pivoting on a new axle rod RCA put across
the
lower rear of the keyboard. The plate momentarily holds the 7 clevis rods for
enough time for the terminal's electronics to strobe the microswitches.

Final power is to be an old 110v IBM AC synchronous motor from the 1960s I
found in my dad's collection of bits that looks identical to the RCA motor,
need to
make the armature aluminium fan it had and make the standoffs to the keyboard
frame. The pinion on it thankfully meshes with the urethane cycle clutch gear.
In the meantime I power the keyboard with a LEGO M Power Functions motor with
some 3D printed brackets and a printed LEGO-tooth-compatible gear with a boss
that clamps
onto the filter shaft just exterior to the new cycle clutch.

Been taking lots of photos but I've not done a page on this yet until there's
more exciting things happening with it (ie. actual electrical encoding) however
it is fun
to power it up and type with a 100% genuine-action Selectric keyboard. This
being:

Feeling the key drop, which pushes the key lever off its detent spring, sets up
the bail pattern, then the filter shaft rotating to punch the key interposer's
end and move the bails, and then reset the key lever on the upstroke. All with
some of that satisfying Selectric 'clunk'.

I say 'some of' because in building and operating this I've realised that a lot
of the Selectric 'feel' people rave about actually comes from the print shaft,
tilt/rotate tapes mech, shift cam, Whiffletree and typeball movement all
operating in concert (along with its sound) in a fraction of a second, the
keyboard
mech is only part of it.

Steve.