On Mon, Mar 13, 2023 at 08:28:35PM -0500, Jim Brain via cctalk wrote:
> On 3/13/2023 8:12 PM, Paul Koning via cctalk wrote:
> > Gents,
> >
> > I've been doing logic debugging (on a fairly primitive software defined
> > radio I designed back in 1999) with an old Philips logic analyzer.  It's
> > not bad, certainly fast enough (I need 100 Msamples/s, it can do twice
> > that) and it's more than wide enough (I need 32 channels).  But its capture
> > memory is microscopic so I struggle to see more than one or two
> > transactions, and I need to see more than that.
> >
> > Some poking around shows various USB-connected logic analyzers for quite
> > low prices, and a number of them seem to have suitable specs.  I also ran
> > across sigrok.org which seems to be an open source logic analysis framework
> > that can drive a bunch of those devices.  Nice given that too many of them
> > only come with Windows software.
> >
> > I suspect there are others that have not too expensive logic analyzers and
> > might be able to offer up suggestions or product reviews.
> >
> >     paul
> >
> If you have 8 or 16 channels to watch, the Saleae units are absolutely
> incredible: https://www.saleae.com/

The Chinese knockoffs of those are working beautifully and cost next to
nothing compared to the original. $50 vs $1300. Considering how well the
software works and how much memory depth you get, it is really amazing.
I use one of those[1] since years with great pleasure.
Those USB LAs are so cheap that there isn't a good reason not to have
one in the desk drawer.
The limitation that must be understood is the number of channels. If you
need more than 16, then it's an entirely different ball game. There are
no cheap and small LAs that exceed 16.
Many people go with used HP instruments. They do their job well, but are

* expensive in comparison
* noisy
* bulky
* obnoxious if you want to move traces to a PC

I would only buy a large LA is you are really sure that you need more
than 16 channels.

-Alex

[1] https://www.aliexpress.com/i/33002975812.html