On 5/25/23 04:52, Tony Duell via cctalk wrote:

> USB interfacing is hard, but SD cards are a lot simpler. So use a card
> reader thing to transfer the files to an SD card and design an
> interface for that to ISA bus.

That's my approach with my own setups.  32GB SD cards are very
inexpensive and quite fast.   So, rather than depend on a USB interface
to transfer data real-time to a PC, I use the SD card as intermediate
storage, later transferring the data off using either a card reader or
YModem-1K via serial port or USB.   The side benefit is that the SD card
is large enough that I'll have a hard time filling it with things like
floppy images over the next few years--so I've got an automatic backup.
USB (or serial) is used mostly for commands and status (TTY emulator)
and can be run from a cheap tablet.   The MCU I use does have ethernet
support, but I've found that to be unnecessary--the data volume isn't
that great.

For the programming language, I stick with C, not C++, not Python and
plain old makefiles--that's what the support libraries are written in.
I don't use an IDE, lest I become reliant on one--a text editor will do.
I document the heck out of code.  Over the 50 or so years that I've been
cranking out gibberish, it's nice to go back to code that I wrote 30 or
40 years ago and still be able to read it.

I'm all too aware of the changing trends in the industry--and how
quickly they can change.  I remember when there was a push in embedded
coding not long ago to use Ada--where is that today?

It's not that I resist technological change--I can and have written C++
and Python (what version?).  On my desk sits a MicroPy board. I look
forward to advances in technology, but I'm also aware of how "bleeding
edge" trends can wither and get lost almost overnight.  How many of you
program in Zig?

I imagine that in about 5 years, the main conversation will be about
using an AI to write code.  Of course, there will be a new language to
instruct the AI...

--Chuck